Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Greetings, Season's

During the holidays, librarians should take precautions to avoid offending their patrons and coworkers with politically incorrect season's greetings.  It is best to avoid anything that could be considered even remotely religious ("Merry Christmas!"  "Happy Hanukkah!) and any politically-charged, potentially inflammatory generic substitutes ("Happy holiday!" "Season's greetings!").  The safest bet is to hide under the reference desk and avoid human contact until January.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work at a Catholic college so I can freely spew "Merry Christmas" without worrying about offending anyone. Such freedom!

Mackenzie said...

This actually hits a little too close to home today. I asked a coworker what she was bringing for the Christmas Party and she said, "Nothing. Because I'm a Jehovah's Witness and we don't do Christmas. I'm womaning the desk instead!"
Potentially horrifying if she wasn't so nice.

Monica said...

I thought "Happy Festivus" solved all of these problems...

ClothDragon said...

I suddenly have an urge to go out and buy a bunch of "Hello, I Am" badges, write in "A Christian" on a bunch of them and have them ready to hand out to anyone that gets pissy with "Happy Holidays"

Unknown said...

Working at a call centre I learned it's best not to wish the client anything. Wait for them to wish you "Merry Christmas" or whatever and you can respond.

Mike said...

I am an Atheist and I say Merry Christmas when ever I can. This politally correct stuff makes me gag. Sure it is all a myth and/or stolen pagan traditions but it is NOT Kawanza or some unknown Muslim holiday.

Anonymous said...

I just say, "Have a good one!" That usually solves the problem.

jlr said...

I just skip right ahead to the end of the calendar year, and say "Happy New Year!" Neither religious, nor politically "correct" nor gag worthy. It's worked so far.