Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tissues at the reference desk, Supplying

Do not keep toilet paper at the reference desk. It's tacky. Toilet paper is for use at the toilet. The reference desk can be bad, but it's no toilet. Class things up a bit by buying a generic box of Kleenex. The ones in the floral box. If you really want to show the patrons that you care, splurge and get the ones with lotion.

Are you crafty? Crochet a Kleenex-cozy to keep those tissues warm and comfortable. Just be sure to color coordinate it with your library's decor. Nothing ruins a good nose-blow like a mismatched tissue-box cover.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Man, this made me laugh at a time in the morning when I find it difficult to.

Anonymous said...

Kleenex's? What's that? All of my co-workers use their hands and sleeves. Let's not even discuss the t.p. issue. No one here has ever been potty-trained.

Anonymous said...

I work at a Reference desk in an academic Library, as an assistant (and can't wait to get back to my "permanent" position as a Cataloguer). I was just told, in a very stern manner, by the Librarian that we are not to give out Kleenex. Period. This came after I was told not to lend *anything* (I gave someone my hole-punch for a minute). Then I was chastised when I asked why we couldn't give out Kleenex (my words: Why, is it illegal?) ok, dumb question perhaps, but you didn't hear the way she said we shouldn't give out Kleenex. As if doing so could start the next pandemic. Either I'm not cut out for Reference work or I need to work at being more of a curmudgeon.

Anonymous said...

I work at a hospital library and the tissues available to us through Supplies are the worst! Half sheets of stiff stuff with bits of wood still in it (not really but almost). Its the ones issued to patients and NO ONE wants to use them. (Just use your sheet to blow your nose.) I bring in my own and now find everyone in the hospital knows I have nice tissues so I'm central supply for all the staff. No good dead goes unpunished!