Monday, July 03, 2006

Degreed, Being terminally

The American Library Association's Statement on the Terminal Professional Degree for Academic Librarians reads:
The master's degree in library science from a library school program accredited by the American Library Association is the appropriate terminal professional degree for academic librarians.
... With that said, go get yourself a second master's degree in a non-library discipline. Most academic libraries won't hire or promote you without one.

1 comment:

f is for Fer; he failed to floss said...

Heh, you said "terminal"...

I've got my 2d post-grad degree just about wrapped up. I look forward to displaying both diplomas in my office (if I still have an office after our library's Great Reorganization) or perhaps wearing them for earrings.

Meanwhile, the missus is working for an academic library that doesn't give a flip if you have two degrees - and she's making more money. Guess who chose more wisely?